The industrial visit to Tata Motors was organized by the KLU ASME section. A team of 14 members were given an opportunity to visit Tata Motors. The visit included the following points.
- Mr Srikanth, one of the guides was allocated to us for providing assistance.
- He initiated the session by demonstrating a four stroke engine with its parts including crankshaft, piston.
- He explained the difference between crankshaft and camshaft by its physical appearance, crankshaft is large and the weight is more compared to camshaft. Some of the components related to crankshaft are Piston, Cam. The crankshaft is fixed in the cylinder block whereas camshafts are fitted to the cylinder head.
- He switched to valve operating mechanism which consists of steam and seating. The steam which is small is for the exhaust valve which prevents excess loss of air pollutants and whereas the steam which is long contributes to the inlet valve increasing the amount of the intake suction
- The fuel gases are sprayed through the combustor chamber which is of the shape omega. The shape enables proper mixing.
- Oil ring located at the bottom of a piston. It allows oil to pass through the piston ring and lubricate the cylinder wall. It also cools which enables the piston engine without heating.
- Compressor rings prevent the air to leak. It also allows the piston to build the compression needed for the engine to produce power.
- An Oil strainer is fixed in the oil sump which stores the oil. The oil sump is connected to an oil pump which circulates the oil.
- Engine oil filter hole is like a filter unit purifying the oil from dust The particles.
- The piston is not exposed to the cooling effect directly so an engine oil cooling jet nozzles is fitted which cools the piston.
- There are basically few types of engines
As name indicates the injection of the fuel into the cylinders via a common line
It uses the exhaust gases which is also at high temperature and less compression rations which gives you high efficiency.
- Function of Radiation and its heat exchanging capacity.
Q) Prof. Shyam Prasad asked about the various sensors that are used in engine.
Ans: Various sensors are used of which some are used to detect the high temperatures , sensor to determine the alignment of camshaft, sensor for coolant temperature.
Q) Manikrishna questioned on how much pollution is being released
Ans: Its depends upon various standards that are used. Standards are maintained to set the minimum amount of carbon or nitrogen or pollutants that are to be released.
Q) Narayan asked for some solutions for starting problem in bike during cold seasons
Ans: The starting problem is due to the failure of heat starters or the battery. You should consult a mechanic to solve the problem.